Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need custom CNC work done, need advice/help

Blog Entries

Need custom CNC work done, need advice/help

Hi all,

I want to have a prototype made by CNC or 3D printer, I think this is the best way to make it.
    I've tried online CNC machining places and get a quote for about 500$ which sounds rather high for something I can't see and needs to be shipped overseas to me, where I run the risk of it not being to my liking, then I'm stuck and broke.

Does anyone here do this kind of work or can recommend someone who does. I'm not sure how to proceed and can use some advice. The prototype is a small coin with raised characters, it doesn't need to be metal, but it needs to be durable enough to be pressed into sand.

Thanks,

Ming

have you considered having it done by shapeways or similar company?? I think that may be your best bet.
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

It really depends on the part. If it just need a few cuts and a few holes or something, that's not a big deal. But when you get into contours and 4/5 axis machining, the part needs to be modeled by someone (time) then the machine set up (sometimes lots of time) possibly a fixture made for the part (usually lots of time) and then the actual machining done.

In a professional shop with experienced staff and decent machines $500 doesn't go very far.

It's impossible to know if that's a fair price or if some members here can even do the job without more information on the part. Even a picture of a part sketch. I do plenty of parts with little more then a "crayon & napkin" sketch.

How small is small? Laser etching on acrylic might be workable. That could be a very cheap option. Can you provide the file or do you need that done for you?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    have you considered having it done by shapeways or similar company?? I think that may be your best bet.
    Thanks! Looking into them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asymetric View Post
    It really depends on the part. If it just need a few cuts and a few holes or something, that's not a big deal. But when you get into contours and 4/5 axis machining, the part needs to be modeled by someone (time) then the machine set up (sometimes lots of time) possibly a fixture made for the part (usually lots of time) and then the actual machining done.

In a professional shop with experienced staff and decent machines $500 doesn't go very far.

It's impossible to know if that's a fair price or if some members here can even do the job without more information on the part. Even a picture of a part sketch. I do plenty of parts with little more then a "crayon & napkin" sketch.
    Thanks, I see I'm being too vague, but don't want to be too pushy for a newbie.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Henriksen View Post
    How small is small? Laser etching on acrylic might be workable. That could be a very cheap option. Can you provide the file or do you need that done for you?
    25mm-30mm diameter coin 2mm thick approx.
    Like this but with different characters, I have no idea if these characters are possible.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

The back doesn't need to be exact, but the front does, characters lines are 1mm wide and raised 1mm
    Thanks much for the laser etching idea!

SLA or SLS may be a cheaper route, do you have an IGES or STL file for the parts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peedee View Post
    SLA or SLS may be a cheaper route, do you have an IGES or STL file for the parts?
    Thanks for the info, I'm a total noob and have no files, now I will study the acronyms.

That would be a 2 minute job on my laser if you provided the graphics. Not sure if there would be enough of a draft angle though.