Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Now I need a FORGE.. What next?

Thanks bud, (I'm new at this tig thing) and Good question. And that's one I pondered for many hours. The theory is, as long as there is positive pressure it can't happen. I figure, the pipe itself is a fixed diameter right? Well, when an air/fuel mixture ignites, it HAS to expand. Turns out, there is no place for it to expand to inside that pipe due to the positive pressure being maintained. At least this is what I keep telling myself. I was a bit concerned when I lit this thing, still questioning my reasoning. I am going to putz with it some more today and might experiment with some jetting. By narrowing the fuel entrance, I think I can speed up the fuel flow and also crank up the blower speed and crank the heat.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Interesting theory and it makes sense when you think about it. I once had an electric fuel pump come apart inside a gas tank. There were parts scattered all over in there and there had to be some lovely sparks when it happened. The only thing that happened was the car stalled for lack of fuel. I figured it was a fuel rich enviroment and not enough O2 to set it off. Anyway nice job!

Thanks Addison, but I am reconsidering this whole natural gas thing. I was screwing with different fans this afternoon for this thing and I got bit pretty good by a fan. (don't ask, I feel dumb) I don't have much spare time with my line of work and I am finding myself screwing with burners, fans and other crap and not actually forging and melting metal. A naturally aspirated propane burner would be super easy to run and still cheap. I'm going to set this ribbon burner on the shelf for the time being and try to get to some real work. For now, it's time for some more Tylenol 3 the walk in clinic gave me. Yeah, like I said I had a REALLY dumb moment.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    -- Donald Trump --

Sorry about the fan accident and hope your recovery goes quick. Don't beat yourself up, we all carry scars from dumb moments that's how we learn.

Ugggh... I refuse to admit defeat. My finger is healing nicely and the finger nail has already grown halfway back. I'll spare you guys the photos, but I can say it suxs to have a nail ripped off by the ROOT!

After much head scratching, I'm back on this natural gas burner. I'm determined to make this work. I hope I found someone that has done this before over on a blade forum. IFI was useless so I gave up there. So far, I upsized the gas line feeding this thing. It's all at least half inch and larger to burner pipe. After a good test fire with the burner on the ground, I mounted it back in the furnace. Same story, weak billowy flames and no stability whatsoever. Here's a video of it running outside. Anyone see anything obviously wrong? I also tried blocking off half the ribbon burner with it mounted inside the tank. Same story, no change.

I might have forgot to mention, I welded up the hinging back on this thing. Since then, it's all been downhill for me. Funny how she would chooch with it open, but when I closed that lid down in the back, I was screwed. :-/

WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    -- Donald Trump --

Look at the TIME this one is posted gang. Woke up at 3am with a bad itch and said screw it, I'm scratching it with a FORK! Something told me I was getting too much turbulence inside my forge... SO I crawled up in the attic, retrieved my big box of kaowool and lined this sucker with 2inches. Hooked up the gas hose and BINGO! Lit off smooth, stable, no drama and started POURING out the heat!
    I DID IT!!!!

Time for a bigger blower I think. My little microwave blower is running full tilt and the gas valve was barely cracked open. Here's a shot of what she looks like stuffed with cotton. Looks like I get to start mixing mizzou now. WHO would have ever thought this was the cause. NOT ME!
    20161023_0403276.jpg

Last edited by jagboy69; 10-23-2016 at 12:15 PM.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    -- Donald Trump --

I find it funny that I did this a YEAR AGO and no one has since taken this idea and built a furnace around this design? It's dead nuts simple to operate. (light and go) Cheap as chips, no propane tanks to carry around. No drop in pressure and an ENDLESS supply at many peoples homes. What's not to like? A pair of 12" long ribbon burners mounted vertically in the walls of a tank and your done!
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    -- Donald Trump --

Mail-call?

A prime example of 'brimstone's mailbox'.

I could use a smaller version myself - for heat-treating more than forging. Examples (for the mill) below:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ouch! That stuff's hot!