Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 3D printing

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Ditto on affordable. While I don't imagine it'll be affordable. Cx5 Sculptable Filament is reusable as sculpting wax. Still not out yet though. http://www.adambeaneindustries.com/blog/
    ive played with the cx5, pretty interesting stuff. I had no idea they made a printable filament.
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

I went ahead and pulled the Trigger on a new FT-5. Estimated Ship date is July 29. I'll update once it comes in and I get it assembled. Hoping to get it up in running before the weather cools off.

I bought a Delta DLT-180 from some knockoff site, and played with it for a bit. Being my first printer I hated the delta. It wasn't accurate, i always had to re-level the bed and it generally just pissed me off all the time.

I used it to print the parts to make the printer shown at this link http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1047193

I have printed over 10 2.2kg rolls of filament through this fusebox, and i Love it. It sits idle sometimes for months at a time, and all i have to do is check if the bed stayed level (because of moving it around) and load a file to the sd card and click print. (well, sometimes i have to re-feed the filament, turns out it gets brittle and breaks when left out)

I want to build a bigger volume printer, but that ft-5 for under 500 bones looks tempting.

I'm looking into this 3d-printer craze. The thing is there are 3d printers at work and at local makerspaces, but they are always either busy or broken, plus the drive.. I would like to get one in my house. Does anyone have any updates to the Folgertech FT-5 discussed earlier or another recommendation? I'm looking at around 500 big money for this which is around the FT5's price. I think I would use the large build area as well.

Frost,

I have got the FT-5 assembled, I have an issue with the z axis binding. But work has gotten in the way and I've not gotten it sorted out and printing yet.

CBB

I wonder (thread hi-jack) pyro grade aluminium comes in atomised and micron sized flakes...........

David,
    The only down side to that printer is it's 5.5" x 4.7" x 5" Print envelope. The Photos look like it's not a bad little unit. But until you get it in hand, you really will not know.

Peedee,
    Those micron sized flakes of aluminum...... Work very well
    But if your going to sinter them remember it is basically laser welding very small bits together. That means you have to look at the same way you would when welding. The area being fused cannot have oxygen present or you end up with a slag/dross puddle. Easiest way to fix that purge the whole build area with Argon. This means building an enclosure and adding inlets and outlets for the gas. Even in their small particle size the aluminum takes a lot of energy to liquefy you'll need a big laser (80 watt CO2 maybe a 40 Watt??). It can be done but the cost $$$ at that point Screw the 6 or 12 inch area of a 3D printer..... Custom build a 24 inch unit and make the most out of it. Building the mechanicals is the cheaper part. (at that scale the cost for the aluminum powder would be huge too)

CBB

I ran across this one after I purchased the FT-5. https://tevo3dprinterstore.com/products/coming-soon
    Apparently they have had some trouble with the power supplies bursting into flames. Hopefully they have that sorted out now. Pretty nice looking for the price.