Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1931 Model A Victoria build

Hybrid View

1931 Model A Victoria build

Well some of you wanted to see this so Im starting a build thread. Right now the car is running and driving and will remain that way until the new chassis build, at which time I will swap the body to the new running gear. I have spent the past 2 years collecting all the new parts i need so now its time to get down and dirty and start the build.

Here is some shots of the car when I first got it.

And shorty there after a quick sand blast and prime...

I am going to run a flathead V8 and it took several blocks to find one that was usable. I bought 3 complete engines and tore them down and found some cracks in not so good areas.... Well at least I have some dummy blocks for mock up.

Today i drug out a frame I purchased and started sand blasting it. I will be boxing in the frame and have started squaring it up. These frames are like a wet noodle and twist all over the place. I spent 4 hours clamping, twisting, measuring tring to get the frame square for welding on the boxing plates. UGG what a pita!!

More to come, its beer time now
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

I like those old American cars. Carry on, i'm grabbing pop corn.
    I found that trying to find what I need and then make it work with what I have, is more trouble than designing what I want and doing it.
    me

"Quick decisions are unsafe decisions."
    Sophocles

Patience, David, patience. All the sweat will be worth it in the end. As I said in the previous thread, it looks like nice, solid builder. I forget....were you going to leave it (mostly) stock, or hot rod it?

Roger

the body and interior will be put back as original but the running gear will be up graded. 4" drop in front 7" in rear 15" wire wheels, 53 merc flathead v/8, T5 trans, 40 ford rear. Going to take some time for sure. But what an adventure!

That's a pretty steep drop, even for an A. Would I be correct in assuming you're going to bag it?
    The Merc flattie will give it some more go-power, but isn't there something about a Merc crank in the stock Ford flattie?
    The T5 will sure help for highway speeds. You won't have to wind the flathead up quite so tight to keep up with traffic.
    Rear end choice is good, too. Upgrades to juice brakes at the same time, so the fronts will also get upgraded. Good choices all around, not that you need my approval.

Roger

here is the stance and look im going for. I will be using painted wire wheels not chrome....No, no bags...the blocks are the same only the crank and pistons are different from the merc to the ford.

and these are the painted wire wheels I will be using...Sorry Dad, you got the chrome ones now anyways....

Boy, I wish I had the time to go back to work on the collection of old cars I have. With all the casting work come in daily these cars have been left to set. I have 6 Model T's and 3 Model A's along with a '56' Jaguar roadster and a '79' MB. One T and one A are fire trucks along with 8 old farm tractors. Three of the T's not shown are the fire truck and two stake trucks stored in my other building. Bob

I used to spend my time to save money but now I'm willing to spend my money to save time.

I could have some fun with that Jag for sure!

HOLY CRAP, Bob! What is there to work on? Hop in, crank it up, and drive the wheels off. They might be a little slow around town, but you'd be travelling in style.
    BTW, those old originals look better than my plastic, hot rod T-bucket parked out back.
    and just to try to make you jealous, I scored an original T steering wheel, in excellent condition, for $5 yesterday at an auction. (Hard rubber rim, stamped four-spoke center.)
    Now you can show me a pic of the cast brass spoked, wood wheel you got for nothing out of a farmer friend's lower 40.

Roger