Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 1931 Model A Victoria build

Doing a bit of double checking my measurements before turning on the mill. Tomorrow I hope to mill a torque plate so I can verify all the bolt hole, coolant passages, cyl bores, and valve pockets on my cylinder head cad drawing. Then Im just a shot time away from milling out the patterns and packing some sand....
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

Been working on the cylinder head model some and printing up some things to check the over all fit and alignment. Still need to add the embellishments "fins" and coolant outlet. Also waiting on a head from a gentleman's hydroplane out in Cali that he is loaning me so I can model the combustion chamber.I figure this whole month will be spent completing the head model and getting the cam in order and next month spent making the patterns and core boxes. Then comes the fun stuff.....

While sitting in the house watching the snow fall I started on the water outlet manifolds. Not 100% sure if I like what I came up with and still need to add a 90' elbow to the printed model that I left off due to the max height of my printer. Its funny how things can look pretty cool as a cad model, then once you have it in your hand look totally different.
    I also noticed that there is greensand from Florida for sale on ebay. Anyone try any of it? Very white and fine sand.

Administrator Site Admin
    Its funny how things can look pretty cool as a cad model, then once you have it in your hand look totally different.
    Yeah, you can usually tell if something was computer designed just by looking at it. Computer designed stuff has no heart or soul.
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasper View Post
    Yeah, you can usually tell if something was computer designed just by looking at it. Computer designed stuff has no heart or soul.
    That would be cruel to say, if it were not so true.....

Blog Entries
    Maybe the yellow color is not the best to show what it will look like once cast. Spray some grey primer on.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    http://fournaisedupiton.blogspot.com/

I would just love to be able to do the CAD part. 2D is ok but 3D ..... Well.
    Nice stuff looks good to me
    If the spelins rong blam the wife!

How to build a Nudge burner (oil)

I might be controversial here but there is such a thing as 'old school' CAD designers. Most of us here have a feel for materials through practice. For me, art college, drawing office (pen and paper/film) and breaking/making stuff. I was dealing with a chap a few years ago that depended on FEA for his part, it was useless when the molds were cut, his response 'I worked for Dyson'.

CAD limits the 'flow' you may put in a piece if you can't transfer a drawing skill to the part.

For what my opinion is worth (not a lot) your printed part doesn't 'flow' (sorry)

EDIT: I didn't mean that to sound as off as it did, how about looking at the radius on the left drop to the flange and why the sudden fall from the right bore to the rib or deeper cavity.

Peedee has a point on flow, that's how the original guys would have looked at it, after all that's what it's for.
    smooth off #1 and loose the lower part and extend the others up, no reason you could curve them a little to aid flow too.
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

Now thats a stepper motor!