Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: Precision Vise

That turned out purity nice. Now you need to make one out of a good quality steel

Many years ago (when I was working) I made myself a tool makers vice similar to yours out of tool steel, I even had it heat treated, then precision ground it so it's square, parallel, I still use it when doing certain kinds of work, it will come in handy once I get my universal surface grinder up & running

Ron
    If ya cant cast it, Forge it RSS

http://metalmaster1766.webs.com/

I got lots of progress, I finished the base and gave it its first sanding and a bit of polish and milled the slider to size. I still need to get the screw mechanism installed.

Caster
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you have the screw already? I've got a wood vise screw that I'm not using. 1-3/8", I think. ACME threads.

You may want to look into having the parts hard anodized to reduce the wear as they move against each other.

Yes, it would be a good idea to harden the cast aluminum, it really should have been made of cast iron (I'm not there yet maybe by next summer).

Thanks you daggs, very generous offer. The vise is designed to use 3/8-16 screw. I roughed the fit, next I need to turn a 5/8" steel rod to go inside the slider. Thanks again.

Caster

Coming along nicely.
    I found that trying to find what I need and then make it work with what I have, is more trouble than designing what I want and doing it.
    me

"Quick decisions are unsafe decisions."
    Sophocles

Got the screw mechanism done, now a little chamfering and polishing and its ready for all the abuse I will throw at it.

Caster

That looks beautiful! Nice work! I've dreamed of making a vice for my drill press, and this is almost inspiring enough to make me abandon my current project and start a new one... But no, I'm trying to get better at finishing what I start...
    When all you have is a foundry, every problem looks like a casting.

Alloy Avenue Member Map

Thanks, Its been a year in the making. I left some surface pitting, did not want to mill it smaller.

Caster

I did not have a precise worked out design when I started this project. I knew what had to be square, perpendicular or parallel but I did not have predefined dimensions to work to. The original drawing did not have removable jaws but I knew I would add them later, now is later. I measure the slider and notice that I only had 3/16" between the face and the tension rod, that is not enough to securely hold the jaw. You got to love a foundry, I altered the pattern added 3/8" making it thicker now I can drill and tap, I recasted.

I get such a feeling of satisfaction when I make something useful. I used the vise to machine the new slider.

I didn't have time to finish the slider but I roughed it and its square, the vise actually does what I hoped it would do.

Caster
    Last edited by caster; 08-16-2015 at 09:39 PM.