Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help buying TIG welder

I suspect they're misinterpreting the picture on page 12 of the manual which depicts the welder hardwired into a dedicated disconnect, NOT a sub-panel.

I am not a US Elechicken nor do I know the NEC but it seems very strange to me you'd be required to do it on a separate sub-panel.

Separate panel????? Screw that!
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

I don't mind if it is recommended/necessary/code, but it would be nice to have other outlets and fully power the garage for all my future machines.

I also wouldn't mind putting a 100 amp cord on the welder but I don't know where to buy something like that in flexible rubber. Electrical supply house I suppose would have it. I also would like a 100 amp plug. I'll have to ebay that tho 2nd hand because new they are like $350 bucks for some stupid reason.

100 amp cord????? Crazy!! My campers cord is 50 amps and weighs in about 70 lbs...
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

BIG boats commonly use 100amp flexible cord for shore power. Might start looking that direction. You do know by the time you sink another 350bucks into a cord, you could have bought an IGBT invertig221 machine that doesn't have these stupid big ass power requirements right?????? Do YOU own this house or plan on living there for the next 20years???? How long does this cord need to be? I have an electrical shop around the corner I can price for you tomorrow if ya want? I have a buddy down in houston that builds mud houses for haliburton, he's probably sitting on miles of this wire.

- - - Updated - - -

But he's not draggin his welder to campgrounds.... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    100 amp cord????? Crazy!! My campers cord is 50 amps and weighs in about 70 lbs...
    -- Donald Trump --

Jag that would be great if it isn't too much trouble. I only need about 10 feet of cord if he has a small piece like that of flexible cord so I can use it to hook the welder from the wall to the machine.

I don't know if I need 3 or 4 wires in thw cord. Any ideas?

Wouldn't I need to upgrade the torch and torch wires to use that much power?

I wonder why the welder is hooked up for 50 amp. That seems a little odd to me. Why would they downgrade the original 100 amp wires and hookups?

That is probably the case with your machine. If you want to tig at 250amps, you'll need a bigger torch thats for sure. All this nonsense of wire sizes and huge breakers is all tied to capabilities and duty cycle. It was setup for 50amps, because the previous owner like you, will probably never try to weld the queen mary inside their garage. You'll also need to step up your tungsten size too. 3/32" tungsten will self destruct at 250amps in short order. I'll see what they tell me for some 4wire big stuff. For such a short cord, make you life easy and buy copper. You can get away with the next smaller size. Let's see what these guys say tomorrow, they seem to know their stuff. I bought the cord for my kiln from them recently. I also have a first class scrap yard, I'll hit him up. IF you need, he usually has it and he's CHEAP.

BUT.... I personally believe 50amps is all this machine needs or will ever need. Yes it may be a 250amp welder, BUT it doesnt need to be feed with 250amp service right???? This is why we have welders in the first place, it does the job of stepping up the amps and that means on AC OR DC!
    How it does this is all in exchange for DUTY CYCLE! To this guy, that is why duty cycle is so important when shopping machines. You want to be able to weld for the longest time possible without melting the wires in the wall or circuit breaker box. I think the IGBT machines helped solve this.

Make sense??

The minimum sized wire for this cord should be a #8. I would install some good copper #6 wire and be done with this.
    -- Donald Trump --

Look at page 15 in the manual (3-10 electrical service guide) It says 230vts is 48amps input, and if you have 240vts that number will be even lower! All of this is at 60% duty cycle AND at 250amps!!! That means welding for 6mins straight out of every 10minutes. You'll NEVER HIT THAT. By now you already know how hot that air cooled torch gets, now imaging it twice as hot at 250amps and for 6minutes. You'd need kaowool gloves to hold the torch. The reason for your 100amp service panel is so you can run other crap on it the same time you are welding. Things like lights, maybe a small space heater in winter when you are freezing your balls off or the radio. I installed a 100amp panel and on that panel, I have a 50amp welder circuit, a 30amp air compressor circuit and then 3 little 15amp lighting circuits. Air compressors are only pigs on startup and only for a split second, the lights, well they are bs florescence. The compressor and welder CB are only on one at a time. Now the kiln and air compressor are happy running together. I unplug the welder when it's time to run the kiln.
    -- Donald Trump --

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    You do know by the time you sink another 350bucks into a cord, you could have bought an IGBT invertig221 machine that doesn't have these stupid big ass power requirements right??????

- - - Updated - - -

But he's not draggin his welder to campgrounds.... lol
    Very true,.
    This is one of the sales pitch games companies pull all the time.
    They show these incredible low prices on items but in reality once you add all the extras, you would have been better off buying something in a package deal, and of the same comparable quality or better.

You never know, he may very well 1 weekend decide to haul his welder to the camp grounds along with a case of beer.

Better than a case of beer and a bag full of guns.

Zapp, you might also want to call around to local electrical supply businesses for the cable you need.
    Our local electrical supplier quoted around $2.43/ft for copper #6 SOO flex cable.

When I was building my electric furnace I bought SO cord, limit switches and a bunch of stuff from TEMCo.

http://stores.ebay.com/TEMCo-Industr...=p4634.c0.m322

Well organized store that you can sort by category and whatever, fast and reasonable shipping. You can pretty much buy what you want by the foot. The have welding cable, Kanthal and other NiCr resistance wire, limit switches, etc.

Best,
    K