Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Building my first furnace

Subtext: "we don't (or can't) ship internationally"

Blog Entries
    I would encourage you to find local or regional refractory suppliers. If I drive a couple of hours, (less than 2), 1" ceramic blanket is less than $3 a square foot. I buy full boxes that are 2 foot by 25 foot. The same company sells crucibles and any other refractory you could want. I encourage you to look for regional, industrial suppliers. I had some extra that I sold to a member about a year ago through the buy/sell page.
    kent

I buy from Nock refractories in Cleveland.
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

Thanks, Kent. The nearest place like that around here is ~2-3hrs away. If I had the budget for it, would definitely do that. Just not in the cards this time around.

Check for heating and Boiler repair companies. They usually have blanket, might give you scraps.
    We could smuggle some across the Detroit River, probably would be shot. Used to love to come to Canada now it's a big hassle.

I never really gave this stuff much thought... Next time I'm in Austin, I'm grabbing another box. I use it like water to pick up hot ceramic shells. I should probably come up with a cheaper solution.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

I got ceramic fiber blanket by the foot at Capital Pottery Supply here in Ottawa. I don't remember how much it was but if there's a place like that somewhere nearby it's worth asking. The place I got mine, it wasn't in their online catalog so I spent a long time hunting around, until eventually I called to ask and discovered they do usually keep some in the back. Insulating firebrick too.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Blog Entries
    The thing I see about the high prices on E-Bay is that if you bought in bulk the price is about $1.5 a square foot for 1". Someone is buying cheap and selling extremely high and then adding shipping on top. Ouch!
    kent
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

Smelko is the "local" place (Milton, ON), from my searches - although I never thought to ask heating/boiler repair companies. I truly would have liked to do the blanket route, just no budget, and really this isn't going to be run 24x7 (probably only a few times a month, at most) - so going blanket is kind of a luxury (given my size constraints - already using a 55gal drum).

Sand is in!
    7 bags was a little enthusiastic...also, only one of the 4.75 bags I put in was "wet" (this first one). Also, 20kg was a very vague figure, according to the aggregate company bagging this stuff. Some were 20, some were 15. All told there's something like ~90kg, or ~200lbs, of sand in there.

Hopefully this week I'll have time to cut/fit/weld in the cover for the sand, and start work on the lid lifting mechanism.

I did offer to help you out with the kaowool Chris... http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...l=1#post203559

I think you're about 90mins from me, (Oshawa???) but free should offset the gas money...lol.

Keep it in mind if you change your approach.

I have some in blanket form and mountains of it is 8" cubed sections that I got out of an auction a year or so ago. I highly doubt I'll ever find a enough purposes for it to go through my inventory...lol
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Dangit Vibert...I thought I had replied to you...will PM shortly.

Today my wife graciously gave me the morning in the garage (in return for me taking the afternoon shift! ).

Separating the lid-cap

Fitting the cap and welding in place

Starting on the lid lifting pieces

Next steps
    • lol cut the lid band thing apart, I was rushing, totally forgot that once the band is welded in place, it's impossible to add the mechanical supports
    • Get the lid metal pieces solid and done - with mechanical support this time
    • Spend more time humming, hawing, and generally gaping at the furnace's imaginary lid lifting mechanism...