Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: As promised—How I light a Hot Shot waste oil burner

Administrator Site Admin
    Hope you use a little more PPE for the pour.
    I have leather boots, a heavy cotton shirt, and a thick leather apron, as well as a face shield. It's a juggle. I can't put all of that stuff on until the last minute because it's so hot down here. Several times I have had to jump in the swimming pool to alleviate an attack of heat exhaustion. All of a sudden I realize I have gotten real stupid and clumsy and I fortunately have had sense enough to go get in the pool.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

He had PPE. I saw a pair of shorts. That covers up the most important bits! lol
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

It's several months after the fact now, but thanks for posting this thread, Rasper! It has been really helpful to me, as a newbie oil burner user. I use a similar setup for my new furnace, with a small drip style oil burner (a Moya) and a bucket-sized shop vac, and tuning and adjusting the burner when it was running on diesel was easy as pie just by following your instructions. I hope waste oil will work as easily!

But I do have a question about your preheat: How much pressure are you running your propane at? I was unable to get mine to burn no matter how low I dimmed down the bucket vac, and I had to switch to my old hair dryer. I am not sure if it is just my low pressure bbq regulator at fault, or if maybe I have a problem with my burner's positioning in the tuyere, which can juuust barely be seen in the full sized version of pic 2 in this thread:
    http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...l=1#post180707

I'm pretty sure the low pressure regulator is the culprit, but I would be interested to hear how you are regulating your propane preheat and get any feedback about burner positioning you may wish to share, if you are so inclined.

Thanks,

Jeff

Administrator Site Admin
    I don't think you can get enough gas out of a low pressure regulator. I run mine at about 5 pounds for pre heating. They sell them here:

http://www.cajunshoppe.com/regulator.htm

One thing I have thought about but never tried is to modify a low pressure regulator. Back years ago I bought a few of them here in Mexico for my gas tank in my house for hot water and the kitchen stove. Every one I bought did not work. I took them back and exchenged them and those didn't work. So I figured I would take one apart and make it work, which I did. What I learned was how they work. It seems that they could be modified with adjusting screws and different springs to allow for more pressure output. It's a whole lot simpler to just buy one though. They are only about thirty dollars.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

I'm still waiting for his sculpting class for dummies like me. ;-) I don't run propane at all myself. (too cheap) I preheat with diesel and bob's your uncle.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Thanks for the confirmation about the not-quite-up-to-the-job regulator. And for this how-to!

Jeff

low pressure propane will feed about 125kbtuh and will fire fine with a controlled combustion fan. using a shop vac because of the velocity of the fan you may need to put a tabulator in the burner outlet to reduce the velocity of the fuel mixture so that the flame won't blow out. I fire 300 kbtuh on low pressure propane with my tilting furnace using a leaf blower for a combustion fan. blow out of a gas flame has to do with the velocity of the air stream. A hair dryer is about the max air that you can put with NG or propane in 2" burner. Your burner design is actually smaller than that with the oil components. Going to higher pressure propane just gives a higher velocity , richer mix to the fuel in a smaller space. When it leaves the end of the burner the higher turbulence gives it the ability to retain a flame easier.

Art B

It's actually quite a bit less than that 2" - the Moya and the Hot Shot both use a 1" tube. Minus the oil components, as you say. I will dig up a higher pressure regulator and see if I can't get my preheat working more like Richard's.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Tobho Mott View Post
    It's actually quite a bit less than that 2" - the Moya and the Hot Shot both use a 1" tube. Minus the oil components, as you say. I will dig up a higher pressure regulator and see if I can't get my preheat working more like Richard's.

Jeff
    Raspers system if I'm understanding it correctly he is using a completely separate Riel High pressure propane burner to bring his furnace up to temp, you have everything you need to make a separate low pressure burner now using a hair dryer for a blower and the lower pressure regulator and a control valve, you may need to cut back the hair dryer a little to get them to burn. You can also put a baffle or tabulator in the end of the burner to reduce the velocity to get them to burn. One of my burners needs the baffle to get it to work, it blows out without it. Here are a couple of pictures of that burner

20151125_135243[1].jpg this is the baffle the reason for the baffle in this burner is that the end of the burner is to close to the 180 elbow and all the fuel/air is on one side of the pipe and is moving to fast

20151125_135354[1].jpg This is firing on low pressure natural gas but the only difference between firing on low pressure propane and Natural gas is that the orifice size on propane is smaller the flame and air flow is the same. this will melt 20 lbs of aluminum in about 25 to 30 minutes, total capacity is about 40 lbs. it will reach Brass temps. on Natural gas.

20151125_140206[1].jpg This picture show how simple the burner really is the air flow is controlled by a damper on the outlet of the fan for fine tuning.

Art B

Not trying to be contrary, but in the video and write-up in post 1 it seems pretty clear he is using his hot shot to preheat with propane and a turned-down bucket vac, without any trouble, then once it is hot, he is gradually adding oil and more air while backing off the gas until he is running on pure oil.

I am already using low propane pressure and a hair dryer w/ dimmer switch to preheat, it's just that it keeps blowing out and it is inconvenient to switch blowers and fuels at the same time. I haven't played with the propane side of my burner too much, but it will not burn using my scavenged BBQ regulator even with the vac turned down as much as I can turn it, or with the hair dryer turned up more than maybe 2/3 of the way. My burner is very similar to a hot shot, so the main difference seems to be the regulator from what I can tell. Unless there is maybe a problem with where I plumbed the propane line into my burner. (Pictures of it here: http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...l=1#post180724 Too close to straight across from the blower?). What I want to do is to narrow it down to just one blower that both fuels can handle, simple, like in Rasper's video.

Jeff