Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: As promised—How I light a Hot Shot waste oil burner

ok I don't know what makes a good working propane burner. Mine is modeled for oil, not propane, but burns propane just fine.

My ID is about 1.75". When I start I set my high pressure regulator at 10lbs. I let the burner naturally aspirate through my blower arrangement. I run a spin vane because it makes a definitive difference with the oil aspect of operation, it also makes for an effective brake for slowing flow while burning propane. Lastly, my burner may be 12" long and the propane feed might be 8" from the mouth of the burner.

My short guess is you need more propane. You need a high pressure regulator.

LOL, so after all this discussion it really probably is my regulator. Thanks again everyone!

And yes, it has been extremely helpful.

Rasper - I didn't think it was an unusually short tube when I built it. Hard to say for sure since his pictures have disappeared, but I believe I went with a similar length to how Moya034 built his. Is using a longer tube just about keeping your lines a bit farther from the furnace, or does it actually burn better that way? Not to downplay the importance of not burning up one's fuel lines...

Jeff

Administrator Site Admin
    Is using a longer tube just about keeping your lines a bit farther from the furnace, or does it actually burn better that way?
    I just followed Lionel's plans. I don't believe in reinventing the wheel. (I went out to the foundry and measured the length of the Hot Shot. Overall it is 21 inches.) here is a link to the Hot Shot plans. The only modification I made was one that Lionel suggested: I ran the oil feed pipe all the way to the tip of the burner tube.

http://backyardmetalcasting.com/bigp...burnerdiag.jpg

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Blog Entries
    Interesting point is that I made my oil burning 'hot shot burner' just long enough to extend through the hot face in my furnace with enough sticking out to braze a nipple on it to clip on a propane connector. I just measured it and it is 14" overall. It works fine and when the oil starts vaporizing it makes enough heat to melt the hinges off of he**. I use an old Electriolux vacuum with a dimmer to throttle it down and I can't get enough oil through a 1/8' feed tube to run the air wide open. If I needed more heat I guess I could pressurize the fuel tank and crank up the air but so far I have been able to melt brass without going to that trouble. I really can't believe that the length of the tube makes a lot of difference in the performance of the 'hot shot'. BTW, I extended the oil feed all the way out to the end of the burner.
    learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself

profanity is the futile attempt of a feeble mind to express its self forcibly

hobiejack

total length operationally could be as short as a couple inches. Any length over that just makes it easier to handle. And yes if you are going to use a 1" burner and a vacumn for air you will need a higher pressure regulator than a normal BBQ regulator to overcome the pressure in the pipe. The longer the pipe the more pressure the propane would need.

Art b

Yes, that's clear now, thanks. The type of regulator needed for a burner like this was one detail that was not specifically mentioned in Richard's Hot Shot instructions or Lionel's, so I am glad that extra info is now here in case others are trying to make and use these burners after reading about other forced air burners using low pressure gas. I will post here again once I have tried this fix.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by hobiejack View Post
    Interesting point is that I made my oil burning 'hot shot burner' just long enough to extend through the hot face in my furnace with enough sticking out to braze a nipple on it to clip on a propane connector. I just measured it and it is 14" overall. It works fine and when the oil starts vaporizing it makes enough heat to melt the hinges off of he**. I use an old Electriolux vacuum with a dimmer to throttle it down and I can't get enough oil through a 1/8' feed tube to run the air wide open. If I needed more heat I guess I could pressurize the fuel tank and crank up the air but so far I have been able to melt brass without going to that trouble. I really can't believe that the length of the tube makes a lot of difference in the performance of the 'hot shot'. BTW, I extended the oil feed all the way out to the end of the burner.
    When I built my brute knock off I copied hobiejack's configuration to a tee and it also is just long enough to reach just passed the hot face of my furnace. The oil line ends just before the mouth of the burner but thanks to hobie's alteration to the original brute I can adjust the drip line with ease and on the fly, (which helps when figuring things out).

Hobiejack's:
    DSCF2083.jpg
    Mine:
    IMAG2159_zps306ba0d0.jpg
    I did end up cutting the taper off and losing the steel tip/prop for a spin vane and straight copper tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6ws35W5yJk

Here is my build, nearly a part for part copy of Glumpy's on the burner end, just downsized to 1/8 pipe fittings. Lit up on the first try. But, after I refilled the tank, and the oil in the lines burned up, it died. Must have water in the oil or antifreeze or something.