Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: As promised—How I light a Hot Shot waste oil burner

Administrator Site Admin

As promised—How I light a Hot Shot waste oil burner

People seem to have trouble getting waste oil burners going without a lot of smoke, oil leakage, and who knows what else? Here is a video of me lighting my small furnace with the Lionel Hot Shot burner using waste motor oil.
    When I say, "With no smoke," I obviously don't mean absolutely not a trace of smoke. There is always a trace of leftover oil somewhere in the furnace that will make a trace of smoke, but nothing that would attract the attention of anyone.
    After the furnace is hot with propane—and the yardstick I use for this is when the crucible is red hot, which takes maybe five or seven minutes—I begin to introduce the oil, simultaneously turning down the propane feed, and turning up the blower. The key to success is getting the furnace good and hot before turning on the oil. If you don't you will have oil running out of the drain hole of your furnace and lots of black smoke. (Don't ask me how I know.)

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Video is set to private...

edit: viewable for me now

Administrator Site Admin
    The U Tube site says it is public. This is my first U Tube video.

R

Administrator Site Admin
    it looks like you have abundant power, basically only limited by the size of your blower.
    I have often said that if I had a bigger blower this burner could melt my entire furnace in an hour or less.

richard

Well done Richard. Hope to see more of your videos up on you tube. How about a sculpting class for dummies like me? lol
    Jason
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Banned
    I fire my burners up the same way as can be seen on several of my vids. It's a basically seamless process. Get them up to oil vaporizing temp on gas which I use some red glow as the indicator as well and go from there.
    I go one step further and pre fill with an amount of oil. Heat up on gas and as the flame grows and changes from clear or blue to orange you know you are there and wind back the gas till the flame self sustains. being I'm only preheating Metal burners, I'm there in 2 min or less. I then change the gas feed to the oil feed and open the air and liquid fuel and it's off and running.

Less smoke by far than a gas BBQ makes cooking a steak.

My only issue with starting my oil drip furnace is due to the less than stellar environment I keep it in. It tends to be fairly damp a good amount of the season so I opt to slowly bring temps up with the propane preheat to drive off moisture. I'd say I'm probably ~15mins before I consider switching over to oil.

Administrator Site Admin
    I stick a 1/2 inch Reil burner in my furnaces for about 15 minutes before I insert the oil monster. Two reasons for this:

#1 - I have already been using the Reil in the burn out kiln so it is already hooked up and right there.

#2 - I just hate pouring mega heat into a cold furnace and onto a cold crucible. (Granted, cold down here is 85 or 90 F.—but still.)

Richard

I like the pulley on the oil bucket idea. Bet you can adjust the pressure by just changing the height. Looks like nice weather too. Hope you use a little more PPE for the pour.
    People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

If I had a dedicated space for casting I would have probably ended up with a gravity feed. So simple and easy...