Thread: Vilberts's newest toy

Love the pulley!
    R
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

That Monarch is lovely congrats Vibert!

All those control handles are appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Micscience View Post
    All those control handles are appealing.
    Thanks, and I know right...?

I have posted a small amount about this lathe on a forum I used to frequent quite often. I was lurking and found a thread someone had created about the online ad for my lathe. I don't make appearances there very often so I thought it would be an entertaining "small world" post. I just followed that up with that first run video when asked if I had it running yet. A member there suggested that it is a machine that should be ran on a VFD so I can reap the benefits. I of course see none of those benefits. The lathe has a clutch/brake lever, and really cool levers to change the spd already. Why would I want to not use all those cool levers...??!!

Tomorrow I might get the opportunity to tool up the lathe in a big way. I don't want to put the cart before the horse but I've been given the location and the needed super secret decoder ring to enter what I'm in told is the fort knox of all things machine tool. I haven't to this spot before so I can't provide any details.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Man you really need to throw two or three coats of sloppy paint on that thing, scratch / ding a bit off, then let it get goooood and rusty: The shieve is totally robbing all the glory from the motor! Just like that hot bit of eye-candy always hanging off of our new Press-a-Dent's arm. Somebody really aught to clean that mess up hahahahahaha.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Ok... so, I'm wondering if those shaper fans could shed some light on something for me.

If a shaper is categorized as a 7" machine. What does that 7" represent exactly...? Is it working distance from bed to tooling, or stroke of the ram...?

There's a little Atlas 7B priced at $400 semi local to me at a reasonable asking price. Anyone that pays attention to my ramblings here in the Manual Machining part of the forum knows, I'm not much of a shaper fan. However, with that said, I do see and could utilize the benefits of having one in the stable.
    $_27.jpg
    $_28.jpg
    FLAME ON...!!!!

The size is based on the stroke. The pointer below the handle probably points to a scale for setting the stroke.
    If you think you can't do it, you're right!

That atlas is very similar to the Logan 8" I just picked up. SandCrab is right the 7 refers to stroke length. The Handle in the middle of the top (with the pointer) sets the length. I've been doing a lot of research on shapers lately, Here's a link to the owners/service manual/Parts list for this little guy. This unit also has an auto advance on it. South Bend also has a nice pamphlet "How to run a Metal Shaper" gets you going on the basics. That little unit looks to be in Good Shape and the price is fair (it would be better if it came with the vise and or some tool holders).

CBB

The handle on top positions the ram over the work, the length of stroke adjustment is done internally on the scotch yoke.
    I'm with CBB that the vise would be nice.
    The Southbend book is a good resource.
    If you think you can't do it, you're right!

Here's the link to the "How to run a Metal shaper book"

SandCrab.... Now I'm going to have go back and make sure I have my unit far enough away from my shop wall. Thanks for the insight!!

CBB

A 7" shaper should be able to work on a 7" cube of metal although when you get to the bigger sizes of shaper this rule dosnt apply for practical reasons, you loose a bit of working height and gain a bit on the Horizontal traverse. I think this was mainly done to keep the ram below head height.
    I was using my Elliot10" at the weekend to machine a bit of horribly gummy aluminium, I have worked the same stuff with the mill and it tends to gum up cutters quickly, the shaper made short work of it.
    I have recently bought another one, beware they are addictive, it is a badly beaten up Ormerod 14" I think. Should be able to pick it up this weekend and get a good look at it, It hasnt been run for years and might yet end up on the scrap pile.

Donk
    Needs must while the devil rides.