Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Vilberts's newest toy

It's a bit late now, but could you have not used the belt pulley from the gearbox, and machined it/&/or and a conversion to your motor shaft?
    However, it's all looking good mate. Keep it going
    The only time You're not following your nose is when your going backward!.......Andy (ME) .
    Have you filed in "Who do you think you are?" "War Grade Report" " My photo's"

The original pulley has a 30mm bore, (to match the support bearing ID. The motor shaft is 1.125"(28.57mm)... That minor difference makes retro'ing them together quite the pain in the ass....lol

Believe me when I say I thought about what you're suggesting for a good while.

I suppose I could have wrapped the motor shaft in a bunch of shim stock but I'd rather do the leg work and get a proper fit.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

So I managed to get the two halves bolted together and then ran into a problem.

The number '9' in my SouthBend 9A stands for the capable swing of the machine in inches...lol. My pulley has an OD of nearly 7". What's that mean...?.., well i can chuck up the piece but can't do much to it.

They should have called it a SB kinda9A

edit: I have a "work around" that should allow me to still make this pulley with reasonable precision. Time will tell and unfortunately we're entertaining today, so I may not have progress to report for another day or so. Truthfully... This minor edit is more of a footnote to kick start my memory in case I forget before I get a chance to get back down to the shop...lol
    Last edited by J. Vibert; 12-31-2016 at 02:21 PM.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Vibert View Post
    So I managed to get the two halves bolted together and then ran into a problem.

The number '9' in my SouthBend 9A stands for the capable swing of the machine in inches...lol. My pulley has an OD of nearly 7". What's that mean...?.., well i can chuck up the piece but can't do much to it.

They should have called it a SB kinda9A

edit: I have a "work around" that should allow me to still make this pulley with reasonable precision. Time will tell and unfortunately we're entertaining today, so I may not have progress to report for another day or so. Truthfully... This minor edit is more of a footnote to kick start my memory in case I forget before I get a chance to get back down to the shop...lol
    I'm not following? Why can't you turn a 7" pulley?
    R
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

I can spin the part without a problem. I cant however do the necessary work to the part because the carriage will not allow me to reach the areas a need. Because the carriage will not pass under the part the tailstock live center won't reach the part either, so i have less than adequate support...

I think its still chucked up... I'll snap a pic

So there you have the would be pulley chucked up and my tooling extended to the ridiculous just to reach the inner face. When i adjust the carriage to work the front face the tail stock doesn't reach the work piece.
    Last edited by J. Vibert; 01-01-2017 at 12:02 AM.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Is that the only tool you have, it isnt really suitable for facing.

Donk
    Needs must while the devil rides.

No its not, and i don't have any need to face the part. I was trying to explain the limitations I'm running into with the 9A. Not having the appropriate tool for facing the part in the pics is the least of the concerns...lol
    FLAME ON...!!!!

I see. I knew the cross slide would not fit under the work piece. I did not think the tailstock would be an issue. My tailstock ram is longer. If you had a larger chuck you could grip it securely on the outside. Then you would have to work each half separately by flipping the work. I hate to say it but I really think you need a larger chuck for that piece. I have an 8" 4 jaw for such purposes. If you have a face plate you could consider bolting it to that?

Robert

Edit: I just re-read your thread. You are planning to cut 4 pulley grooves in that piece? That's gonna be tough due to the Z axis travel and the cross slide. I was thinking maybe you could mount the pulley on a shaft and turn it between centers. That would be stable but that does not really solve the problem of cross slide interference when trying to cut grooves. In fact, I just tried to set it up on my 10K and I can't see any way to do it. You could get 2 grooves cut on the tailstock end of the work if you are lucky but I don't think you can reach further in.

Robert
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Exactly robert... Nothing more than a lack of capacity. One of the many reasons i wanted a big person lathe....lol.

What i will end up doing is setting everything up in the mill. I have a couple of options but in the end I'll be using either my rotary table or indexing head to rotate the blank. The mill's head cants so I can set it for the necessary angle for the v belts. The set up will take a bit but the work should go fairly quick.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

I think you can do it in the mill the way you describe. That's one of the reasons I need a big person mill...
    The finish in the mill may not be as good. Perhaps you could rough it in the mill and then chuck it up to finish with a file and or sandpaper? I can only turn 5.6" diameter over my cross slide. I assume yours is similar.

Robert
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer