Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: metal vids

Banned
    Only thing wrong with that vid was it was far too short. Just getting into the feel and mood of it and it ended.

I love looking at this stuff, particularly in these countries where there are still skilled craftsmen doing the work largely by hand and have dedication and pride in what they do. I get a sense they are at peace and calm with their work and probably are far more relaxed and happy in themselves than western workers.... what few of them are left doing anything like this that is.

Thanks for putting it up!

Good one Pat. That one belongs over at the "youtube winners in metal casting" thread
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Anyone ever notice the stuff posted on Vimeo is a little more artsy fartsy, better quality and more professional than youtube? Maybe it's just me. Good stuff.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

The presumably bronze handles for the ceramic objects in the first video seems to me to be a very poor example of something that "needs" to be cast. In the 6 hours of time spent preparing the waxes a decent machinist with a band saw and manual mill could have churned out a good-sized batch of them from a piece of bar stock.

They were fine as an example of the process, but something with a more organic/complex shape would have been a better item to show "here we're making things by casting that we couldn't have machined".

cheers,
    Michael

I thought that too

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    Anyone ever notice the stuff posted on Vimeo is a little more artsy fartsy, better quality and more professional than youtube? Maybe it's just me. Good stuff.
    My thought exactly. There is not one video i have seen in vimeo that doesn't start with music, doesn't have top quality and is documentary type. No vlogs and music videos?! :lol:
    I found that trying to find what I need and then make it work with what I have, is more trouble than designing what I want and doing it.
    me

"Quick decisions are unsafe decisions."
    Sophocles

Vimeo is meant to be a higher production quality site mostly intended for filmmakers rather than a YouTube type of site. I mix sound for indie filmmakers and Vimeo is usually the first place things see the light of day. Though often on pages with passwords if its not ready for general release. But I find it not as good for learning something because the artsy shots are all over the place instead of on the subject matter. Better for entertainment value I think.
    People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.