Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Build thread - Calcium silicate insulated copy of Myfordboy/J.Vibert furnace.

Every once in a while I see a Deckle pop up on our government of Canada auction site, but they always fetch too much coin for me to pay too much interest.

I just started talking to a former acquaintance again, and he has an Aciera F4 that he's trying to unload. He hoping for typical Bridgeport type money which would normally be fine but his machine is in pieces, and he's not the guy that stripped it down. So for $1500 you get an atypical vertical/hori mill with complex internal drivetrain components that's in pieces....lol. So far I like my little Rockwell vertical, so I doubt I'd be willing to part with what he's asking. I have a problem when it comes to saving machines from neglect though
    FLAME ON...!!!!

The pics of the assembled Aciera look sweet, but I'm sure you don't need another project While the FP1 heads my list, the cost of outfitting one... My second and more realistic choice is the horizontal/vertical version of your Rockwell. I curse the limitations of my Atlas almost every time I use it, and I so need a vertical, but I'd hate to give up the horizontal. Besides, then all my cutters would only be good for ninja throwing stars.

Blog Entries
    A disassembled AVIA FN25 came up in Salzburg for €200 and I was tempted, but all those Deckel style machines are pretty complicated inside and 30+years old. I also decided I didn't need another project right now.
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Yesterday I got started on the 1 1/4" brute oil burner, and worked a little on tidying up the 1" Bunsen burner. Sorry about the crappy phone camera photos.

I put in a family portrait.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by thrifttrust View Post
    The pics of the assembled Aciera look sweet, but I'm sure you don't need another project While the FP1 heads my list, the cost of outfitting one... My second and more realistic choice is the horizontal/vertical version of your Rockwell. I curse the limitations of my Atlas almost every time I use it, and I so need a vertical, but I'd hate to give up the horizontal. Besides, then all my cutters would only be good for ninja throwing stars.
    The vertical only rockwell does allow you to pitch the head a full 90, so it does allow for some limited horizontal milling. A combo would be sweet, but i consider myself fortunate to have found the one i have.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Blog Entries
    Yesterday we fired the furnace on oil for the first time. First warmed it up for an hour using the little 1/2 Bunsen burner, before switching to the "Brute" style burner.
    http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oilburners09.html

https://youtu.be/AGd_Otwjsqc

I haven't made a needle valve for it yet, and controlling the oil flow with a simple ball valve is a bit hit and miss. Slightly too much and you have huge plumes of black smoke, and flame blasting out the vent hole.

The little modified vacuum cleaner ran like a champ for about two hours at least. It still has the speed control fitted, but for waste oil, I'll remove that, and run it flat out.

We did a steel crucible of wheelium, then melted down a couple of brass taps in a clay graphite A5, and poured them into an ingot. I surprised how quickly the brass melted. Also the amount of zinc smoke was excessive, but I hadn't planned for brass, and didn't have a covering of glass on the melt.

Finally we melted an A5 crucible of cast iron. The mold is a lathe face plate form, but it was a half arsed moulding attempt. The sand was too dry, I didn't have a proper core, didn't cut the ingates large enough, and didn't super heat the iron enough. The initial charge of iron in the crucible ended up quite slaggy, but the rather large chunk I added, melted within 15 minutes and didn't add much slag. Although fine adjustment wasn't easy, I found it easier to judge furnace atmosphere with the oil burner than with propane.

https://youtu.be/YUWfC3XQ_A0
    Mark
    Last edited by rotarysmp; 07-26-2016 at 06:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    Since the oil burner was airflow limited during it's first test, I figured I would simplify the air side, and only control oil flow. I removed the T connection with air flow dump valve, and also replaced the variable resister in the vaccuum cleaner motor electronics with a fixed resister to give max fan speed.

The motor and electronics got hacked into an old ATC PSU case. Now I need to make a needle valve and butcher a firex as a fuel tank.
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Nice setup youre putting together. I like your approach to air - youre better off simply adding a damper cover to the air inlet and metering air that way versus trying to fart around with motor controls.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cylndrfury View Post
    Nice setup youre putting together. I like your approach to air - youre better off simply adding a damper cover to the air inlet and metering air that way versus trying to fart around with motor controls.
    +1

(10 characters)
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Blog Entries
    Finally finished the oil burner, sized around my new furnace:
    http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...ight=rotarysmp

This set up looks like a winner. I gave the furnance a preheat on propane for about 10 minutes, then swapped in the oil burner. Using 50:50 waste oil and diesel, it lights off easily, is stable, and the mixture is easily controlled with the needle valve. Since my prototype run showed that the blower is well matched to the furnace running flat out, I removed the vaccuum cleaner blower speed control electrics, and just have an on/off switch for blower air. The blower got housed in an old ATX PSU casing. I might still build a accoustic insulated box around it as the high pitched whine is pretty annoying.

Since I'd never tried lost foam, I hot glued some sprues to a round styrofoam kept from some packaging. The styrofoam bead pattern was very visible in the foam. Just buried it in rather dry green green sand, without ramming or making much effort to pack it in around the pattern. The riser was a dense blue building foam. I learnt that you need to start the pour rather slow with lost foam, at least the blue stuff, as the mold initially didn't feed well. Once the foam burnt out, you could pour at normal speed. I was suprised how good the surface finish was considering my lack of effort or attention to detail.

Once I ran out of diesel, I did two more heats on pure WVO, and pure WMO. This is not as stable. You have to keep tweaking the needle valve as it won't maintain constant mixture, varying between smoking badly and near lean blow out. I did a small pot of iron on WMO though. Didn't bother timing it as I was ramming up a mold of my lathe faceplate pattern, but it can't have taken more than a half hour, even though the mxture was all over the place. The iron poured nicely, but it was a short casting. I knew I didn't have enough scrap iron small enough to go in the little A5 crucible before I started. Forgot to take a photo after the mold was turned out, but the iron flowed quite nicely. It was a mix of brake discalloy and a nice CI headium casting.
    Last edited by rotarysmp; 03-14-2017 at 12:41 PM.