Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: First Muller... (a winter project)

Almost there...

Had to recondition my 4 jaw chuck so i could hold the 3" stock appropriately. Lost a day...
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Getting closer...
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Scratching my head a bit on the direction of rotation on the gearing. Are they meshing or do you add an idler so they go the same direction?
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

They don't mesh... A third driven gear will match their rotation.

There's a little less than 1/8" between them. Bad camera angle....

I built the sides as large as they are to allow for a potential horizontal adjustment upgrade on the bottom two rollers. This thing is waaay overkill for what I need to roll, but should be able to handle lighter square tubing and what not. That's also the reason I opted for the pyramid type design rather than a pinch/deflecting.

The gears are what I have lying around. They're actually meant to drive my mill's universal head, for cutting helical gears. They are the closest I had to the 3" diameter of the rolls.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

..and we're done:

Well, pretty much. Enough to allow me to attempt the rolling of my 1/8" walled "industrial" type material.

Here's the slip roll ghetto rigged to the monarch and making short work of previously impossible...

I'll have check on how long ago i started building this slip roll, (edit: 3months). I can tell you i was pumped to finally give it a try, but a little disappointed at how quickly i didn't need it anymore...lol.

It took about 4 to 5 passes to achieve the arc I needed and maybe 20mins of actual work time to get all 4 chunks completed.

So much for that excuse. Nothing holding back the muller build now.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Super clean slip roll J. Now you'll hafta find another project just to use it again. I'm sure that won't be hard.

Thanks chubby...

I made it as beefy as I did in the thoughts that i would use it again for building some fencing/gate across the front of my property. Pipe dream at this point, but at least I have the tools now to make it happen.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Neat! Nice simple design, I love it. I always wondered (never used one before), do you need to be accurate with tightening down both sides of the roller evenly (within a cunt-hair-or-two), or is within a 1/16" or a flat, good-nuf?

Hey! Now you can roll actual little pipes for your dreaming
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

The pyramid type I think is the most simplistic. Although I'll tell ya, nothing was done simply on this build. There's seven precision bored holes to accommodate 12 brass bushings that were then also bored for alignment to one another. 2 hand made hex head caps for the idle roll adjustment and another with a keyed shaft to power the works. A large single plate of 1.5" aluminum was broken down with a sawzall with demo blade to manageable size. Then squared up, slotted, and featured so they will engage squarely with the monarch's bed ways. Grooves were then milled out with a t-slot cutter to keep the idle roller true while adjusting. The brass bushings that ride within those grooves were lapped to fit, and are attached to the adjustment screws via a home brew clevis and use two hand made brass washers and c-clips so it will rise as well as lower. The rollers were one large piece of chrome shafting. Thank god i have that big monarch or I wouldn't have been able to cut it up and turn them down.

Oh and I had to add roll pins to the caps.

Sry... I think if you're too out of wack with the adjustment it will bend a curve into the sheet. I matched the gap prior to doing anything and then cranked them the same throughout the work. I do plan on adding scales on each side. Just wasn't worth staling the muller build further by something so frivolous.
    Last edited by J. Vibert; 07-09-2017 at 11:23 PM.
    FLAME ON...!!!!

I did manage some time on the muller build today as well...

Now that I have the walls rolled to fit the bed diameter, I set out to bolt them on.

The idea is to bolt them on then weld up the seams. I'm using 1/4-20 fasteners spread about 6" apart to keep the walls on. Probably a little over kill but why stop now right...

Seeing the muller with the walls mostly in place I think I will go ahead and bend inward a lip. Figure it would add a little strength at the top, and motivate the sand to roll over back into the muller rather than spill over the side.

I've also fabracobbled in my mind how to go about incorporating a dumb gate. I always had in my head to do a bottom trap door like I have seen a couple members here on the forum do. My thick aluminum plate didn't make this an easy task. Doable, but difficult. Instead I'm going to just do something on the side. Figure I have enough extra wall material to put something together. Another consideration that I don't know if I mentioned before, is my desire to put this muller on a hand truck. My logic is that it will waaay easier to store vertically. Keeping that in mind, my plan is to do a wall gate located at the "bottom" most point. That way it's a matter of lifting the hand truck slightly from horizontal to vertical to help facilitate emptying the muller.

That's the plan anyway.
    FLAME ON...!!!!