Thread: Waste Oil Burners 覧 How I Built and Use the Lionel Brute and Hot Shot

Administrator Site Admin

Waste Oil Burners 覧 How I Built and Use the Lionel Brute and Hot Shot

I wrote up my four years of experience with waste oil burners in these two PDF files. This may address some of the problems people seem to be having in getting oil burners to work properly.

http://sjames.users.sonic.net/shop%2..._burners-1.pdf

http://sjames.users.sonic.net/shop%2..._burners-2.pdf
    When I die, Heaven can wait悠 want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Thank you- Im not at oil yet- but a lot of good info already!
    Discipline in any art is directly attributed to the disciple you are of that art's teachings, its collected body of knowledge... and your own ability to share it openly. -George Cloyed

Yet another fantasically helpful post.

I ended up taking a different route with my Brute build, but it was your success/praise with the design that gave me the confidence to stay away from a spray nozzle/compressor.

nice

Thank you. That was a good little read. I had actually re-read the hot shot design earlier today and ran out to home depot to get an idea of what they had. I couldn't find any 1/8 inch tube for oil feed pipe that runs inside but there was 1/4.

SO couple questions.
    Basically your set up for the brute is fuel line - hose adapter - 1/4" needle valve - 1/4" ball valve - 1/4" oil feed pipe set in a 2" pipe?
    I saw you had cast iron for the external feed, but what did you use for the internal pipe?
    when i got home from home depot i still had my heart set on 1/8 inch tube. so i used the google and found this. any thoughts.

FIRST POST btw. I've been lurking and researching before I fully jump into this, but a busy day and your post made me reveal myself :evil:
    thanks again.

oh2020, I don't know how much I would worry about getting all the bits and pieces identical to the original brute design...

My "brute-ish" burner has an I/D of ~1.5" and uses a 5/16" copper line for the oil feed. I managed to melt a 1/4" walled stainless steel crucible with it the other day. (yes I'm gloating..lol) I also use a turbulator to help break up the oil drip as it allows me to switch over to oil sooner.
    60bc216a-79f9-48b4-b4f7-8b8246912e41_zpsfa55e3e1.jpg
    The biggest concern with the brute like designs is forced air supply. The more combustable air capacity you have on tap the better. If you opt to use a gravity feed like Rasper has done then you will need to babysit it a tad more than those of use that force feed the oil.

This is my first season of melting anything so for the record I'd totally follow Rasper's advice over mine. I just wanted to say that in my limited experience, I have quickly found that drip feed waste oil is more about forced air then pipe dimensions. I can't imagine needing/wanting more heat than what my small-ish oil burner can already produce.
    Last edited by J. Vibert; 08-08-2014 at 12:58 AM.

FWIW I use an old golf club shaft for my oil delivery tube. I'm definately in the Brute camp, excellent write up Rasper! I've been using one for around 4 or 5 years and the same basic burner is still going strong. Like everyone else has said, the one downside is that you do have to babysit it a bit, but who in their right mind is going to start a foundry furnace and walk away for a half-hour or so? Safety wise, that's just asking for trouble. I'll try to get a pic of my current setup on sometime this weekend.
    Vade Libram Harenae.

Blog Entries
    I use a piece of 3/16" brake line for the feed line in my Brute. It is readily available most anywhere, is easily formed to whatever shape you require and is, most importantly, cheap. As Rasper says, a needle valve is necessary to regulate the flow properly, a ball valve is not precise enough. Interestingly, I use the same size feed tube on my HotShot as well. The critical aspects are adequate air flow and a needle valve to regulate he flow, not the absolute size of the components. Also remember that oil needs a lot more room in the furnace than propane in order to burn well. If you play with either of these burners until you get them right I doubt that you will ever need more heat. When they are cranking they are hotter than the hinges off of, oh well , you know where!
    learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself

profanity is the futile attempt of a feeble mind to express its self forcibly

hobiejack