Yet another one-off shop project. I became frustrated with the quality of my cheap HF indicator stand, and decided I could do better.
A little background: The stand I have now is either this one, or very similar to it. It's cheap Chinese quality, but workable if it's attached to a cheap Chinese dial indicator, and I've had it for a couple years.
The point when it became inadequate is when I got my Mitutoyo digital indicator. That one was an eBay score (no way can I afford
This is the other set of drill press modifications I mentioned in the original blog post (here). I neglected to take any pictures of the teardown, but it's much the same as the rebuild, just with dirtier parts and in reverse order. Here are the shiny new bearings I ordered (on the left), with the old bearings on the right. The lower spindle bearing was a double angular contact bearing and was rather pricey,
A while ago I obtained a fairly well-used drill press (can you believe they were just throwing it away?), and after using it as-is for a while, I finally decided to tear it down and make some modifications.
The first thing I did was take apart the spindle assembly and pull the bearings. The spindle bearings themselves were marginally okay but felt like they had some junk in them, and the spline shaft bearings were so loose that they rattled when I shook them. No grit, no catastrophic
This is part of my siphon nozzle oilburner project. I couldn't find the blower I wanted, so I'm making one.
This is truing up the backer disk on the lathe after brazing it to its center shaft. The gear is because the piece of shafting I used came from the scrap pile--it had a gear cut into it.
Part of my oilburner build. I spent enough time on it that I thought it deserved its own blog post.
I did a few steps without taking pictures, so here we are in the middle of the build. The inner ring slips over the 3/4" diameter shoulder on the nozzle, and was turned from a scrap of 1/2" black iron pipe. The outer ring fits snugly in the pipe size that's the tuyere of