All Blog Entries

1. would a plaster and sand crucible work?

I recently watched a video of a refractory cement substitute made from 50% sand and 50% plaster of paris. Could this same mixture be used to make a crucible strong enough to melt aluminum?
    thanks
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. What is this ceramic "slurry" made out of?

Hi I'm new here

https://youtu.be/9Jzu4nNplac?t=1m6s

this video contains a ceramic "slurry" substance that appears to be really effective at preserving detail for lost wax casting, as well as being incredibly heat resistant. I was just curious as to what it is made out of and whether there was some kind of recipe for it, that can be produced with stuff from a hardware store.

If it's too hard to obtain, I already have an alternative in which ...
  3. copper - silver alloy

Hi everybody, another newbie here, to the forum and the actual action :-)
    I am not as ambitious as other, so I intend to buy an electric furnace to melt copper and silver for my project.
    I need to make a copper 95% and silver 5% alloy and cast 3.75" x 2.50" x .05 " plates for an electrolytic cell.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/231464121724
    I have a few issues I have to figure out:
    1.) supplier of 99% pure copper (~10kg, reside in Las Vegas)
    2.) ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Hi I am new but have a interesting question

Hi i am new to this site.
    I would like to ask a question that could be a new concept in casting (maybe not )
    I will be trying an experiment after I finish building a good furnace.
    I am presently living on a very small island in the Philippines and wax is hard to come by. Hence it is hard to produce cast pieces using the last wax concept.
    Here is the new concept.
    I will be casting in sand. What if i a made a plaster of paris mold then coated that mold with handmade ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Newbie.

Hi all. I've been reading and studying foundry and metal working for some time now.
    Over time I've accumulated items and parts to begin setting up my home foundry / smithing shop.(low budget)
    I'll attempt to document steps I take on my projects with comments and pictures.
    My first projects will include: making my furnace, crucible, tongs for the crucible, melting aluminum, and pouring ingots.
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast