All Blog Entries

1. Newbie.

Hi all. I've been reading and studying foundry and metal working for some time now.
    Over time I've accumulated items and parts to begin setting up my home foundry / smithing shop.(low budget)
    I'll attempt to document steps I take on my projects with comments and pictures.
    My first projects will include: making my furnace, crucible, tongs for the crucible, melting aluminum, and pouring ingots.
  2. Introduction: Jim "Mr. Measure Twice" - Northern California

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Measure-Twice View Post
    Hi Foundry Folks! I am a woodworking that does some metalworking and mixes the two in my projects. Currently, I am assembling my woodshop, again, and have been building simple and functional items like potting benches, work benches, stepstools, some crafty things like a countdown thingie for my granddaughter, with help from her mommy, my lovely and super-crafty daughter.

I've been woodworking and metalworking since 1977 when I took both shop classes and fell in love with both! I was
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Alt Shell Experiment

Experiment I did a while ago.

Shell made of aluminum foil, masking tape, cotton string and sodium silicate.

Foil holds the detail of the model. Tape gives support for model extraction.

Painted with sodium silicate, dried with heat gun (scorched marks). Extra tape for support during drying. Tin can pouring cup.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. MAF Adapter - start to finish

I wanted to make a cast aluminum MAF adapter for my SR20DE engine. Most of the aftermarket adapters available are plastic and flimsy, and overtime will fail due to heat cycling. So I made a pattern to cast from.

A bit of luan for the base, an offcut from a soup can for the tube section, and some durhams water putty to add draft and girth.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Epic Plastic injection molder project

ive stated making some patterns to get this project started
    so the complete plans have not been drawn , just a bunch of parts in cad
    so im going with an 8inch air ram for injection force , and a 25mm auger for the Heating / mixing stage
    the auger will be driven by a 1200oz/in stepper with a 8:1 gearbox , full speed should make 120rpm , = 1 horsepower

so the basic design is below
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast