All Blog Entries

1. Drill Press Table Counterbalance

A while ago I obtained a fairly well-used drill press (can you believe they were just throwing it away?), and after using it as-is for a while, I finally decided to tear it down and make some modifications.

The first thing I did was take apart the spindle assembly and pull the bearings. The spindle bearings themselves were marginally okay but felt like they had some junk in them, and the spline shaft bearings were so loose that they rattled when I shook them. No grit, no catastrophic ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Workshop improvements

I'll probably end up adding more to this since it's missing a lot of photos, but here's some stuff that I've done:

I finally found the money to buy a sheet of 3/4" plywood. Before, I had a 1/2" sheet as my bench top and it was sagging in the middle pretty bad. Anyway, it's hard to see the difference but it went from a warped, dirty (lots of wax spills among other things) sheet of plywood to a nice sturdy bench top.
    Old:

Updated 01-01-2012 at 01:38 AM by Rugerdude

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Frech Chef's Knife

This is something I whipped up for my girlfriend's mother for Christmas. She's a hell of a cook

Handle is Teak from the deck of my old sail boat.

Getting started, I free-handed the shape with a jig saw and started grinding.

Updated 12-26-2011 at 03:13 AM by GypsyTinker

Tags: knife Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Materials I have right now.

Here are the materials I have right now.

Pic1:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steel tin that can be made into a furnace..jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	1512
    The dimensions of this tin is 6inches deep and 10 7/16inches across.

Pic 2:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kaowool.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	1513
    This is the kaowool I have. It is 2300F kaowool. The dimensions of this is about 2 inches wide, 2 inches thick, and 25 feet long.

I am trying to figure out how to use these materials to make a wood or charcoal fired aluminum melting furnace.

Updated 12-23-2011 at 01:43 AM by metalmelter2693

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. First Blog Post

First blog post. This seems like the ideal place to detail my projects since it isn't occupying space on the forum and it doesn't necessitate a reply, but people can still comment on it.

Latest progress, a new, lighter, more efficient furnace. 5 cm kaowool insulation, a little under 1 cm hotface (the slab roller was set to " but it must not be very accurate), with a tuyere for a " nominal burner. The bore is roughly 20 cm and fits an A6 clay graphite crucible from McMaster. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast