PDA

View Full Version : Engine Repair Help (Toro S200)

Smithboy
02-09-2012, 02:36 AM
Ok, a while back I posted a thread about trying to repair a small 2 stroke engine here http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?6529-Small-Engine-Repair-Help To sum it up, I know it gets fuel, and has spark. I went back and tested the compression, and it only gets about 90 lbs of compression, is that too low for a small 2 stroke? The engine is from an old Toro S200 snowblower, per the title.

EDIT: I thought I should add that after several frustrating minutes of trying to turn the engine over, I noticed little puffs of fuel/air mixture coming out of the end of the exhaust pipe, which led to several more fruitless minutes of pulling on the starter cord.

small potatoes
02-09-2012, 06:23 PM
EDIT: I thought I should add that after several frustrating minutes of trying to turn the engine over, I noticed little puffs of fuel/air mixture coming out of the end of the exhaust pipe, which led to several more fruitless minutes of pulling on the starter cord.

That sounds like several summers of my youth after my folks got a Toro lawn mower. You probably don't want my suggestion for it. But I wish you luck.

president of pyromania
02-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Try some starting fluid, it will start up first pull. U can get it at most gas stations, it is an aerosol can. Ace hardware, basically anywhere l. Just follow the instructions.

BashingTin
02-09-2012, 08:03 PM
You can even use the spray can form of WD-40 as a starting fluid.

It sounds like it's trying to run. You say it has spark, but how strong is it? Those magneto's can sometimes get week after a while. A week mag will still spark when the plug is out of the head and grounded to the side of the block, but is it a good solid sounding "crack" when it goes off?

Try starting it in the dark. You might also have a high voltage leak to some other form of ground (you should be able to see it in the dark). That would steal some of the energy heading to the plug.

Just my two cents.

P.S. I wish I had a snow blower!

BashingTin
02-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Ops! Sorry, I didn't read the other post...

president of pyromania
02-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Yes, adding to the voltage leak, I have a motorized bike that seemed to have a coil or magneto failure while riding. It would give a pop every few turns, but no go. I knew I couldn't fix the coil, so I swapped the magneto for a spare I had. Then hot glued everything, suspecting water got in from snow riding. Took me a whole city block of bump staring to get it started, and it ran like crap. As I rode it for a few minutes to warm up, I heard a clicking sound. That told me there was a spark jumping somewhere. I get off the bike, look and see sparks jumping all over the spark plug! The insulation had cracked. Replace spark plug, and its fixed. If it has been sitting, it is most likely a Carb issue. Start fluid will tell you if the spark is good, and if it stops running quickly after starting then it is the Carb for sure. Now go get some start fluid!

president of pyromania
02-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Wait, one more thing! I had some trouble getting my neighbors mower started, got spark and ran with start fluid. Guy at ace hardware told me to dump the gas and put in fresh gas. Ran like a champ! Always dump gas before long storage.

DavidF
02-09-2012, 09:59 PM
One thing to keep in mind with 2 stroke engines, even though you have compression you might not have crank case pressure. Like broken reeds or blown seals.....definitely, try fresh fuel mixed properly too.

Petee716
02-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Before I became interested in foundry I only knew 1 way to melt aluminum. Spray ether (starting fluid) into a small engine. I've used straight gasoline as starting fluid in a 2stroke but even that is pretty hot for little pistons. Carb may need to be rebuilt. Unless you can find the model of engine you'll only be able to guess at the fuel/oil ratio. Record any numbers you can find on it and look up tehcumseh online and see if any number combos look familiar.
Pete

BashingTin
02-10-2012, 02:51 AM
DavidF's idea of checking the reeds is a good one. I had a chainsaw I struggled with for a while that had some leaking reeds. I cut out some new ones from some stainless shim stock, and the thing ran great!

einstein
02-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Usually a quick shot of ether on a cold start won't get it hot enough to do damage, I sometimes start my car that way when it is flooded because if it has spark it will for the most part hit at least a few times on Ether even if it does die right back out.

What color is the spark when it is laid out? Although unreliable to check that, it can still point you in the right direction if you don't have a high voltage spark checker. On most of the engines I have worked with, they throw a very fat blue spark on a clean plug, with a white or orange spark if the plug is dirty from being run for a while. Note that the spark should be at least half the width of the electrodes, if it's a very narrow wire or is a dull color like purple your ignition voltage is probably too low and it won't spark under compression.

Also, I've started my snowblower a few times by spraying carburetor cleaner into it because I couldn't find my Ether container. For some reason the 4-stroke engine on my blower always has to be started with ether for it's first run of the hear, after that it starts right up just by priming it and giving it a yank. Probably has to do with stale gas in the carburetor, once it has run a bit it draws fresh fuel down from the tank and starts easily after that.

Dom
02-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Check out the crank main bearings. Get hold of the impeller or what ever the crank is bolted to and move up and down to check for clearance in bearing. If theres a lot the crank seal wont work, thats time to forget it, and get a 4stroke.

greencheapsk8
10-09-2012, 06:19 AM
If you think the spark is jumping or earthing somewhere its not supposed to, try firing up at night. Your will see the bolts of electricity like mini lightning. That solved some issues I was having with a two-stroke dirtbike?

TRYPHON974
10-09-2012, 07:40 AM
I hope he got to fix it, the thread is 8 months old :)

4cylndrfury
10-09-2012, 04:58 PM
methinks tulip will be offering to sell us "incredible price handbag selection" or "reduce expense NFL Nike jersey" before long....

donkey
10-09-2012, 07:35 PM
methinks tulip will be offering to sell us "incredible price handbag selection" or "reduce expense NFL Nike jersey" before long....
Banned him!

Donk

oof
10-09-2012, 08:18 PM
damn, where will i get my "reduce expense NFL Nike jersey" now?

mark

greencheapsk8
10-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Banned him!

Donk

Please PM on how to ban people :/
I can delete posts and blogs but I cant work out how to delete members.....